Janeva’s “Zuppa Toscana” Olive Garden Copy Cat recipe – IP style
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground pork (or turkey)
- 1 T. bacon flavored olive oil
- 1/3 C. dried minced onions
- 7 C. (56 oz.) chicken broth, fat free (divided)
- 3 C. kale, bite size pieces
- 2 C. radishes, cut in small cubes
- 1 C. (3.5 oz.) cauliflower florets, small bite size pieces
- 3 ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 ½ tsp. IP salt
- ½ + ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. fennel seed
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium/medium high heat. Add lean ground pork, dried minced onions and sausage seasoning spices; brown.
- Meanwhile, add 2 C. chicken broth to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower florets, turn heat down to medium and cook until fork tender (approximately 15-20 minutes). Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the remaining 5 C. chicken stock, ground pork mixture, radishes and kale into a soup stock pot. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat, simmer 25 minutes.
- Place the cauliflower/chicken broth mixture in a blender; puree. Add to the soup and heat another 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
Servings: Entire recipe = 24 oz. lean protein + 6 C. veggies; 1/3 recipe = 8 oz. lean protein + 2 C. vegetables + 1 tsp. olive oil.
TIP: I divide the soup into 3 portions and refrigerate or freeze extra servings for another meal.
For additional recipes like this, you may go to www.janevasidealrecipes.com for a personal collection of Phase 1 recipes cookbook. A portion of the proceeds of the sale of the cookbooks will go to Samuel’s House Foundation to help hungry children.