- 1 1/2 pounds autumn hearty greens, well washed, stems removed, and sliced into 3-inch strips
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced paper-thin
- 1 pound spinach
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop hearty greens into water and blanch for 4 minutes.
- Immediately plunge blanched greens into a bowl of ice-cold water to stop the cooking.
- Drain, squeeze dry, and set aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add olive oil and sliced garlic.
- Cook until brown, do not burn, remove garlic from pan.
- Raise heat to high. Add hearty greens and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add spinach; season with salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Cook until spinach wilts, stirring frequently (about a min).
- Return garlic to pan and stir.
- The greens can be served immediately or at room temp.