- 1/3 cup of fresh thyme, leaves picked from stems
- Pinch of dried chili
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4-8 large flat field mushrooms (such as crimini, portobello and shitake)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pound thyme, chili, and a little of the garlic in a pestle and mortar or shaker.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and add the olive oil.
- With your hands or a brush, rub the mushrooms all over with this mixture. Make sure all the flavored oil is used up.
- Tightly pack the mushroom together, bottom side up, in an ovenproof dish or roasting pan, and with a knife make 2-3 slits randomly over each mushroom.
- Insert a slice of the remaining garlic into each slit.
- Dot some olive oil over the mushrooms, season and bake for around 15 – 25 minutes – cooking time depends on the size of the mushrooms.
- Cook until they are soft, slightly colored and juicy.
- Taste one to see, continue cooking if need be.
*You can also use these as a topping to your favorite salad.